We made it to New Jersey last night.
We stopped in Matamoras, PA for a birthday barbeque for Francesca's cousin.
Then we got to Garfield, NJ around 9:30 to Francesca's mom's house. Francesca has a few childhood friends who live just two houses down and THEY were having a barbeque too when we got there.
It was a really fun day. I had been a little nervous about it because I don't know anyone except Francesca, but everyone was soooo welcoming. Olivia (Francesca's cousin) lives with her boyfriends family, and they are Italian to the max. Her boyfriends name is Vinny and has a last name so Italian, I can't even pronounce it.
Francesca's friends from down the street are Polish and also very nice. It's amazing how important heritage seems to be here. The first question Francesca's friends mom asked me was "What are you"
I don't think I've ever, ever been asked that in the midwest. It was kind of cool :)
I can't tell you how refreshing it was to have a day not filled with sightseeing, history, and hustle and bustle. Not that I don't love that, I think we both just needed a break and yesterday provided that for us.
We were planning on hitting up the beach today, either Seaside Heights (Jersey Shore!) or Coney Island but we woke up to a massive thunderstorm. It's still cloudy so we're going to try to save the beach for Wednesday instead.
Today we're going to go into the city (New York City) and do some sightseeing with Francesca's mom.
I'd love to post pictures from our day yesterday but Francesca's mom doesn't have internet at her house and I just snuck to a Dunkin Donuts quick to use their Wi-fi. I have about 20 minutes before we leave for the city and just wanted to say hello from Jersey!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment